Smokefree Pacifica Beats Conditions of Entry
1. All contestants must be enrolled in and attend a school for at least 15 hours a week. If you leave school during the course of the competition, you become ineligible to continue. You can change schools during the competition. (School means secondary, area, intermediate, primary or correspondence school.)
2. All contestants must be no older than 19 (nineteen) years of age on 9th May 2017. (You may be asked to supply proof of eligibility.)
3. Smokefree Pacifica Beats is for unsigned bands and individuals only. You cannot enter if you have signed a recording or management contract, and cannot sign during the competition without the prior written approval of Rockquest Promostions Ltd.
4. A student can only enter in one Smokefree Pacifica Beats band OR more than one Solo-duo. (You can enter in a Band AND a Solo/duo is entered in the Online Solo/duo region.
5. Bands must compete in the region their school is closest to. Where a band represents multiple schools, it must compete in the region closest to the school the majority of members' attend.
6. Solo/duo entries must also compete in the region the school their band represents is closest to, unless one of the members is also entered in a band, in which case they must enter the Online Solo/Duo region.
7. Bands and Solo/duos will not be allowed to compete in an incorrect region.
8. If you are entered in a band, and wish to enter in a Solo/duo also, the Solo/duo must be entered in the Online Solo/duo Region.
9. Smokefree supports Smokefreerockquest and Smokefree Pacifica Beats to give emerging musicians the opportunity to play their sounds to crowds throughout the country. Because you are the essence of these events, we ask that you respect their smokefree status. By entering this competition, all entrants are making a declaration of their smokefree status and will be required to sign the following declaration at the Regional Final. “As an entrant, I understand that for interviews, Regional Finals and National Finals, press conferences, and T.V. or radio appearances, it is a requirement for me to be smokefree. If I, or any of my group members, fail to comply with this declaration, it will result in the groups’ immediate exclusion from all parts of this event.”
10. The use or possession of alcohol, cigarettes or illegal drugs by any group member at any Smokefree Pacifica Beats event will result in the instant disqualification of their entire group.
11. At Smokefree Pacifica Beats you are representing your school. It is important that you adhere to your school’s policies regarding behaviour in public. If in doubt, seek the guidance of your teachers.
12. Any entrant defacing or destroying Smokefree Pacifica Beats property or property/venues used by Smokefree Pacifica beats will be disqualified and held accountable for damages. This includes P.A. equipment, recording studios, regional final venues, accommodation venues as well as any place used for photo shoots or interviews e.g. radio stations.
13. Smokefree Pacifica Beats does not condone censorship. Smokefree Pacifica Beats does support the NZ music industry and therefore urges entrants to consider the commercial potential of the material they write. While not wanting to put constraints on the creative process of songwriters we would like to point out that sexually explicit lyrics or lyrics that may offend may not have commercial potential and therefore may not suit this competition. Judges for this event are drawn from the NZ music industry. Entrants are urged to consider this point carefully.
14. Band members cannot be changed or added after your first performance.
15. All parts, vocal and instrumental, must be performed live. No pre-recorded or pre-programmed content is allowed.
16. All performed songs must be original ie, written by one or more members of the band.
17. Performances at the Regional Finals should not exceed 7 minutes in duration -usually two songs. Solo-duo performances at Regional Finals should not exceed 4 minutes - one song only.
18. Where there are 15 or more bands entered in a region, there will be a heats process where one song will be used to select the regional finalists. Where heats are held, the Solo/duo prizes for the region will be awarded at the heats. (In regions where there are less than 25 entries, heats may be held online.)
19. A song can only be performed in one category; either Band or Solo/duo, but not both.
20. If your SFPB entry has three (3) or more performers, you must enter the Band Category. If your SFRQ entry has only one (1) performer, you must enter the Solo/duo category. If your SFPB entry has two performers, you must enter the Solo/duo category unless one of the performers plays drum kit, in which case you are to enter as a band.
21. Judging decisions will be based on discussion, their industry experience and knowledge.
22. The Judges’ decision will be final and no correspondence or discussion will be entered into.
Other Conditions & Requirements
23. All students must have the signature of their parent or guardian on the entry form, giving consent to us to release contestant information, images and recordings to media and sponsors, to send promotional material from the event organisers and sponsors, and agreeing to all conditions of entry.
24. The Smokefree Pacifica Beats finalists winners music videos will be hosted on the SFPB YouTube Channel.
25. Entrants are not permitted to perform songs for the National Final selection round, or at the National Final, that are entered in, have been entered in, or will be entered in other music competitions (except SFRQ) in this calendar year.
26. The National Finalists agree to Smokefree Pacifica Beats Promotions Ltd. (or appointed agent) acting as their exclusive agent in all matters regarding recording and management contracts until 1 May 2018. No recording or management contracts can be entered into by the National Finalists before this time, without the permission of SFPB.
27. The National Finalists agree that, if used as a guest band at a subsequent regional event, will do so without charge. (costs will be covered by SFPB) The National Finalists agree to give SFPB upto two free National Final guest performances in future National Finals.
28. Contestants are required to gain approval from the organisers to use props, clothing or equipment bearing product branding of products other than those of our sponsors on stage. Approval will not be withheld unless the organisers believe the security of the event sponsorship is at risk. This does not apply to the normal name branding appearing on musical instruments.
29. By virtue of entry the entrant agrees to hold Smokefree Pacifica Beats and its agents indemnified against any breach or infringement of copyright or rights held by any third party/parties, and the entrant undertakes to observe all such rights statutory or otherwise. By virtue of entry the entrant agrees to hold Smokefree Pacifica Beats and it‘s agents indemnified against any claim or liability for loss or accident resulting from any individual’s involvement in the event.